Friday, April 3, 2015

Power Poppy's April Power &Spark Challenge



Hi there and a Happy Friday to you! Are you still reeling from Power Poppy's April Scents and Sensibility Stamp release?  Have you been able to pick a favorite set or do you just love them all?  I think I already know the answer to that!  ;)  Things are all a'buzz over at Bloom Central (the Power Poppy Blog) today.  We have the announcement of last month's winner of the Power & Spark Gold Challenge, the announcment of the winner of Power Poppy's Birthday Blog Hop, and we are kicking off April's Power & Spark Challenge!  Whew....that's a whole lotta bloomin' goin' on!  ;)  Which brings me to my post for today's festivities. The incredibly talented and super sweet Allison Cope is our hostess and here is a word from her about the challenge...

"With Spring slowly making away across the land, it reveals the beautiful of so many gorgeous blooms and buds: blooms of soft buttery yellows, light lavender purples and pastel rosy pinks. So for this month's challenge, I want to see you create with a soft, subtle color palette of PASTELS. Let's see those creamy oranges, delicate grassy greens and beautiful soft shades of color on your cards and creations. I was inspired to create a card using the subtle palette of watercolor on my bouquet. I can't wait to see what you create!"  ~ Ally





Quite timely, I would say....wouldn't you?  I can't wait to see all of the beautiful pastel creations for this one! You can check out all of the challenge details here. I chose to use the incredibly beautiful Orchids Rock stamp set but I thought I would show you a new way to look at this set.  How do you feel about some baby blooms?  ;)





I have had the idea for using this sentiment and image for a baby card for a while now.  This pastel challenge was the perfect time to pull it all together.  Don't you think that wee lil' orchid and sweet sentiment makes an awesome card for a baby girl?  And I imagine that come time for a 2 am feeding, that cry will probably be pretty fierce....hee!  Actually, I am in need of a baby girl card....one of my dearest friends in the world is going to be a Grandma soon and...it's a girl!  :)  With this being such a special occasion, I simply had to pull out the big guns for this card....yep, my Marianne Designs Anja's Squares Die set.  Shall we all take a moment......ok, I'm back.  I know we all have that favorite/special something that we like to use and this die set is it for me.  You can get so many looks from this set!  

Another thing you may have noticed here....the image is not colored.  What?!  Now, I know that this may be a sensitive subject for some coloring enthusiasts out there....and believe me, no one loves their Copics more than I do...truly....but let me also say you can incorporate an uncolored image in your projects and it looks a-mazing.  Case in point....this lovingly detailed, oh-so-gorgeous Marcella  orchid here....now I ask you, doesn't she look stunning in all her glory?  





I rest my case.  ;)  So, now that I have gone off on my little no coloring tangent, how about I give you a few details about this card?   Since coloring was not in the process, the card can be put together pretty quickly.  I just die cut out my layers, stamped my image on the circle die cut, sponged some ink around, layered it with a scallop circle and did some stitching.  Next, I die cut my sentiment panel, stamped my sentiment, and sponged more ink around.  I punched two very small holes in one end of the sentiment die cut and tied some ribbon.  Then, I assembled all of the card stock and patterned paper layers, gave the orchid some shimmer with my Wink of Stella Clear Glitter pen, and added some buttons to round things out a bit.  




Here's one more angle.  I was trying to catch the shimmer on the orchid, but I just don't think it is showing up.  It is there, I promise!  That is all for my card today, but I hope that maybe this will inspire you to look at some of your stamp sets in a new light and maybe even.....dare I say it....leave an image uncolored?  Gasp!  What is the world coming to, right?  :)  Well, at least think about it....:)  So are you ready to go hop around and see some truly stunning pastel creations compliments of some of my Bloom Brigade sisters?  Make sure you leave them a little love when you visit and then why don't you whip up a pastel project of your own and come play along with us?  I can't wait to see what you create and until next time, I hope you have a wonderful Easter weekend, and take care!  :)


Cindy Lawrence    
Julie Koerber  
Katie Sims <------You are here 
Stacy Morgan 

~Katie


Supplies not listed above:  Paper-Vintage Cream card stock from PTI, patterned papers from My Mind's Eye's Lost & Found "Market Street" 6x6 paper pad and from Authentique's "Essentials Collection" 6x6 paper pad; Ink-Melon Berry, Chamomile, and Chai inks from PTI; Dies-Spellbinders Classic Circle Small, Scalloped Circles Large and Labels Twenty Eight; Other-ribbon from SU!, buttons from PTI, thread from DMC.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, yes, Katie!! I LOVE this die set (and it's because of YOU that I have one...hehe!). Sigh! Okay, I totally love this image, and it surely doesn't need coloring with the beautiful card you've designer for her. And what a delightful baby card for a new grandma!! Ah! Just the sweetest...another sigh! Hugs, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Katie -- this monochromatic look is stunning! LOVE the dies that you've used too. You had me laughing about using this as a baby card -- yes -- it is perfect and your analogy of 2AM feedings had me giggling. Beautiful creation -- even if you didn't color it up!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful just stamped! With everything else going on that was just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Katie, what a beautiful card. I am envious of you for having the Anja Square die - I absolutely love every card you have made with it and this is no exception! Some day I will break down and buy it. With your design of this card, your image really doesn't need colouring - love that you just stamped it. Yes I agree this would make a wonderful baby card. Have a wonderful Easter - hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful Katie. I just love all your little delightful details.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my it is gorgeous, that die shaped card is terrific and I love the look of the image stamped onto the soft designer paper, just fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a genius! That is one of the prettiest baby cards I have ever seen. Sometimes you don't need to color and this was one of those times. It's perfect just the way it is. I don't blame you for loving that die. It's amazing! Well Katie girl, I had fallen WAY behind in my visiting, but you sure didn't disappoint. A treasure trove of cards to bless my soul. Hope you have a wonderful and blessed Easter! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore this as a baby card! Utterly sweet and a fantastic idea! The sentiment is so precious for baby. You are a clever girl, Katie! I think the image looks all the more vintage and fitting with your card design because it is NOT colored. Outstanding creation, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this is so very sweet and vintage looking...perfect for a baby card, Katie!! You have such amazing talent and I am always glad I paid a visit to you on your blog...I come away inspired and encouraged. What a blessing this will be to the new baby girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Katie, this is just gorgeous! Love how you've turned it into a baby card and it has pastel-y goodness and yet a lovely vintage feel as well! Love the dies you've used and the buttons finish it off perfectly!!

    ReplyDelete